Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 8 - Bega - Narooma

Sunday 14th February 2010

The weather hasn’t improved. It was already wet by the time I got up (8am, rather late) and the dark clouds made it obvious that rain was going to last all day. Although Bega is a pleasant enough small town with some nice period architecture, there was no point in staying any longer; I simply had to face another day’s riding in the rain. Once I got started it actually wasn’t too unpleasant, it was quite warm and humid so there was no chance of me catching pneumonia even though I was soaked through in the first 10kms or so.

Princes Highway - Bega main street

From Bega the route goes east towards the coast, crossing over another mountain - Dr George Mountain - which was quite long and steep, the road over the top of it being unsealed and hence very muddy for most of the way:


This mountain is shrouded in forest and it would have been a scenic ride if it hadn't been wet and misty. Once over the mountain and heading north along a minor road which appeared on the map to run close to the coastline, I expected to see the ocean - but in fact this road is still some 3kms or so inland and the visibility wasn’t good enough to see anything much. After I’d gone about 25kms I came to the Mimosa Winery and obviously had to stop and see what tastings they were offering, which turned out to include a very agreeable chambourcin which I would happily recommend but it’s not sold anywhere outside the winery itself. There was a lovely restaurant there high up overlooking the forest-covered mountain and I was tempted to stop for lunch but felt I’d better get a few more kms further on before resting.

Mimosa winery

Eventually after another 10kms or so I got my first sighting of the Pacific Ocean on this ride:



I continued on to the next town, Bermagui - a pretty town famous for its fishing. It was still raining hard. I stopped for a decent marlin and chips at an oceanfront café there:




The route continued to traverse over tree-covered mountains:


Below is Dromedary mountain - visibility was so poor that it was not possible to get a decent photo, sadly:

Shortly after this the route rejoined the main Princes Highway (Route 1) - in this section it’s a fairly narrow road with a not particularly wide hard shoulder, so not particularly safe for cycling on; however traffic was pretty quiet. Below is the entrance to Corunna Lake:


It actually dried up for about the last half hour of the ride, before I arrived in Narooma at about 6.30. Narooma’s a nice small town in an attractive setting on the Wagonga inlet. There was no shortage of accommodation available and I checked into the excellent Holiday Lodge Motor Inn where the kind owner immediately offered to dry all my wet clothes for me. I had a very good steak and chips in Lynch’s hotel, with a couple of glasses of a fine cabernet sauvignon from the Margaret River.

Total distance covered today 91kms.


















1 comment:

  1. SkyNews was out of date this morning still covering Cyclone Rene on Tonga. Where is their reporter covering Cyclone Steve which threatens to reach Sydney by the end of the week?

    ReplyDelete